Stay ahead of common problems by regularly inspecting your roof and drainage to avoid worse problems later. As John F. Kennedy once said, “The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining.” with that being said it’s easy to forget about some areas of your home you may not think of everyday. Use these helpful hints to keep your property well maintained.
The roof, gutters and drainage on your property can be easily neglected or forgotten completely until there is a problem. With a little proactive maintenance, and the tips listed below, you can protect your investment and avoid costly repairs.
Maintenance Tips for Roof, Gutters and Drainage
- Ensure there are no gaps or cracking in the flashing around skylights, vent pipes and chimneys
- Seal all seams and joints properly (consult a roofing specialist for the proper products to use) and block small entry holes that may be used by rodents or pests
- Ensure gutters are secured and sloped correctly for proper drainage, and to prevent standing water and debris build up
- Clean gutters and downspouts regularly to prevent leakage, back-up, and damming
- Clear all debris from roofline valleys and any other build-up areas
- Trim low hanging branches that are touching or overhanging the roof
- Replace curling, cracked or damaged shingles
Fall is a great time to inspect the roof, gutters and leaders on your property in preparation for the rainy or snowy season. Your Real Property Management office can assist you in evaluating your roof to avoid problems so that you aren’t left with a major repair in the spring.